National Caramel Popcorn Day
Five Food Finds about Popcorn
- Popcorn is made by boiling the water inside the corn kernel. As the liquid water becomes gaseous, it occupies much more volume and therefore causes incredible pressure in the kernel that causes it to explode into being inside-out.
- Unpopped popcorn kernels are called “old maids.”
- Americans consume 17 billion quarts of popped popcorn annually, or 54 quarts per man, woman and child.
- United States citizens consume more popcorn than any other country’s.
- Being corn, popcorn that is unsalted, unbuttered, and otherwise unaltered is a very healthy snack.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1859 Massachusetts created the first Inspector of Milk position in the U.S.
1869 John Wesley Hyatt patented celluloid, the first synthetic plastic.
1896 Opening day of the first modern Olympic games. The last Olympics were held 1,500 years ago.
1930 ‘Twinkies’ go on sale for the first…
View original post 163 more words