I just saw a bit of the Travel Channel‘s programming for Super Bowl Sunday and all things fried food. Besides making me hungry… well, it pretty much just made me hungry. I have to admit I do have a bit of a weak spot for the occasional fried food, even it’s not the most healthy.
The Super Bowl is seemingly synonymous with pizza. I’m sure the take-out pizza chains will have a fairly busy day today, so if you can’t get into the queue or want a likely healthier homemade option- try this one courtesy of @FoodieParadise on Twitter and Huffington Post: (My wife is ruing the fact I’m posting a recipe that uses kale- not her most favorite vegetable!)
Southern Style BBQ and Shredded Kale Pizza by Danielle Saunders
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 bunch of green kale
1 small red onion ( sliced thinly)
2 medium boneless skinless chicken breast simply grilled and shredded
1 lb of fresh mozzarella shredded
1 bottle of baby rays spicy BBQ sauce
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, will take about 15 minutes.
2. Stir in flour, salt and oil. Beat together until smooth. Let rest for 15 minutes.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a round. Transfer crust to a lightly greased pizza stone, or baker’s peel dusted with cornmeal. (This is one of the few pizza dough recipes that do not require tons of time to rise.)
4. Spread with desired BBQ sauce, then begin to build with thinly sliced kale first.
5. Next spread thinly sliced red onions, layer with shredded boneless chicken breast, then add shredded mozzarella and bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
6. Let baked pizza cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
“I’ve got football fever. Go teams go!” (semi-obscure Daria
Have a great Super Bowl everyone!